Sunday, August 30, 2009

Worship


“Here I am to worship. Here I am to bow down.”

Well, I’m here. I can at least say that much. But God, I don’t feel much like worshiping. I have a terrible headache and the music makes it pound. I’m tired and I don’t want to stand. I’m grumpy and I’d rather just stay home. I’m worried and discouraged and overwhelmed by my circumstances. How can I think of worshiping when there’s so much on my mind? Over there stands one who has offended me; I don’t want to join with her. Can we just go right to the sermon and get out of here, please?

“Here I am to say that You’re my God. You’re altogether lovely, altogether worthy, altogether wonderful to me”

God, how much are you worth to me? I’m looking at my struggles and my hurts. Can I tear my eyes from these and turn them to you? Look at your faithfulness to me. Look at your mercy on me. Look at your provision for me. Look at your love for me. Your goodness. Your kindness. Your mighty hand. Do these mean more to me than my struggles? Can I proclaim your worth in the hard times? Am I willing?

“And I’ll never know how much it cost to see my sin upon that cross.”

Instead of worshiping you, they spit in your face. Will I spit in your face by refusing to worship? Will worshiping you this day cost me more than my sins cost you? Will I add to your cost with my stubbornness and pride?

“Here I am to worship.”

Oh God . . . oh, my Lord God . . .

(Song lyrics by Tim Hughes)

2 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I am so glad you have started this blog! I love to read your writings, thoughts, musings, etc. and know that they make an impact on me, because as I scrolled through your blog to see which ones you have already posted, I could remember each one by its title or first few lines! ~ Julia

    ReplyDelete